Thursday, December 23, 2010

Robots Are Terrifying

You know, I don't think I'm exactly in a hurry for the whole "robot servant" thing. Not because I'm one of those paranoid weirdos who thinks that they're all going to become sentient and try to kill us, mostly because that DOESN'T MAKE ANY GODDAMN SENSE.* But still, for some reason, I find the idea incredibly unsettling. Robots just kind of creep me out, and I don't think I would like having them in my house that much. And besides, I'm pretty sure that would pretty much be the pinnacle of human laziness if these things become common. I don't even understand how people can have butlers. It just seems really awkward to me. And rude somehow, even if they are getting paid.

More importantly, what the hell is with the obsession with making human-looking robots? Those things are so goddamn scary, I'm not even going to provide a link for it. You can Google it yourself, but I am not ever looking at those scary monstrosities ever again. Seriously, that IS the uncanny valley, right there. Also, I'm sure there's some sort of terrifying psychological reason for why they all seem to be female.

Maybe I'm just really weird. I still have trouble going into Macy's sometimes because of those mannequins that they try their damn hardest to make look like people. It's just....unbelievably disturbing. And it freaks me out, because there's no reason for it. It's just scary. People who make those things are friggin' creepy bastards.

*Seriously, why would you ever need to program a self-aware robot? And why would you ever program it with even the POSSIBILITY that it would kill people. Doesn't make a bit of sense to me.

No comments:

Post a Comment