Thursday, December 1, 2011

I Don't Want To Ride the Polar Express

I don't understand the whole epic struggle to make computer generated animation look like real life. Does anyone else see something horribly wrong with that? Isn't the whole point of animation to depict characters and situations that couldn't possibly exist in real life? So what's up with all these motion capture CG movies that are practically identical to reality except for all the cold, lifeless eyes? Tell me something, if you want to make it look like live action, why didn't you just SHOOT IT IN LIVE ACTION? Seems like it would probably save a hell of a lot of money. And you wouldn't have to make Tom Hanks wear that goofy-looking suit with all the ping-pong balls on it.

I wish they still had to build ridiculous-looking puppets to put monsters in live action movies. Doesn't make you kinda sad to know that if Gremlins was made today, Gizmo would've just been CG? That totally sucks. I don't usually bitch about this sort of thing, but it really is a lost art. Nobody ever builds elaborate sets in order to hide the fact that the little goblin guy is a robot. I like crap like that. I like those documentaries showing how they do it. Nowadawys, it could be about five seconds. "I did the whole thing on the computer." Lame.

And if anything, it'd give Universal Studios more robots for their terrifying tram rides. The world needs more of that.

1 comment:

  1. Are you ever going to post anything optimistic for once, mate?

    ReplyDelete