Monday, December 5, 2011

The Twenty Dollar Man

I'm a bit worried about the day that it becomes possibly for me to wire a USB port into my arm. Probably because I know myself a bit too well. See, I'm all for the cybernetic improvement thing, no matter what Deus Ex tells me, because it's going to be totally awesome. So I know that as soon as it becomes economically feasible for me, I'm gonna get that port installed. And then about a week later, they're gonna find me in my apartment, completely emaciated, with a fully charged iPod hooked up to my arm. "I just need a bit more battery," I'll tell myself. "I got enough money for food."

Yeah, that's basically just my insane fantasy that we'll be able to use the energy from our own bodies to power electronics. Mostly just because that sounds incredibly cool. And imagine what a great weight loss technique it would be! Just hook up like six laptops and wait until it starves you to death. Actually, I'm pretty sure it wouldn't work like that at all, but a man can dream. And if that man's dreams just have to involve being able to bring a USB sandwich press everywhere so that he can make paninis whenever he damn well pleases, then so be it.

I'd also be interested in the opposite. You know, hooking a cable from yourself to the wall and recharging yourself. Creepy as hell? Absolutely. One step away from the Matrix? I'd imagine so. Still, it'd be cool to be able to stave off sleep by plugging yourself into a wall outlet. Aww screw it, let's just make everybody robots.

No comments:

Post a Comment