Thursday, September 29, 2011

There Is Probably No Appropriate Title For This

Here's something I probably shouldn't be talking about: American Indians.* Now, here's the thing that I find so strange: I totally get WHY we do things like allowing them to basically have no problem getting into any college they want to and the massive tax breaks and things like that, I just find it really strange. I'm not against it in any way, because yeah, America totally dicked over the Indians for centuries, but the thing is, I think it's weird to repay in kind for something that somebody's ancestors did. No wait, hear me out on this.

Okay, imagine you're a white guy. That shouldn't be too hard, especially if you already are one. Okay, so you're at your house, getting drunk or setting TVs on fire or whatever it is white people are supposed to do these days. Anyway, the police burst into your house and arrest you. When pressed for the reason, they explain that your ancestors from 200 years ago were slave owners, and you're being punished for it. That'd kinda suck, right? So yeah, the Indian thing is like that, but backwards. 200 years ago, THEIR ancestors got massively screwed, forced off their land, and killed, and now they get to benefit from it. That's cool that we're at least trying to make up for it and all, even though we never possibly could, but trying to do that by helping out people who they never even met? That's nice of them but...yeah. I actually don't really have a conclusion or anything. I don't want them to stop it, I think it's a good thing but...yeah. It's weird. Bring on the hate mail.

*I'm going to call them "Indians", because "Native Americans" is apparently not any better to them. And the whole "political correctness" thing is just so out of hand at this point that it's easier to just keep things as simple as we can.

No comments:

Post a Comment