Tuesday, October 19, 2010

Three Year Bonus Part 2

Who exactly chose that the year that you become a legal adult should be eighteen? I mean, I realize that you can say that about pretty much anything in the world, but doesn't it seem really arbitrary to you? Like, why eighteen? Why not twenty? That's like, a rounder number, and it makes more sense.

Okay, so I see that they're hitting it from the "you're out of high school by that point" angle, but then shouldn't it be nineteen? Most people are still in high school when they turn eighteen. And that just ends up making it so that you have to come up with a whole bunch of loopholes and stuff like that to take rights away from eighteen-year-olds who are still in high school. Doesn't that seem unnecessarily complicate. Probably not. Well, it would if you were really easily distracted. Like a squirrel. Or a chipmunk. Sorry, I forgot where I was going with that.

Regardless, it seems like it's just another set of really weird standards. For example, who decided that you can get your permit when you're fifteen, but only after you've been fifteen for six months? Are those six months really going to make much of a difference. Somehow I doubt it. And the rules for how permits work in general are just insane. The way the limits are set up for whether or not you can drive non-family members and whether or not you have to have a parent in the car are pretty complicate. Or uncomplicated. I don't know, I was too distracted by the shiny objects.

Oh God, I know I'm going to have to explain this joke.

No comments:

Post a Comment