Friday, August 20, 2010

The Universe Is Broken

Do you ever suddenly become struck by the realization of how little you know? This happens to me with an unsettling frequency.

For example, do you know how a computer works? And I don't mean how to use one, or how the different parts come together. I mean, how do they even get power? How do you program something like that? And I know some people learn programming languages like Java and C++ and stuff, but somebody had to program that too. How does that work? I have no idea.

And what about magnets? How in the hell do magnets work? Magnets are freaking magic, okay? I've decided that magnets just transcend logic. They don't make sense. They simply defy the rules of the universe. Magnets were invented by wizards or something.

Furthermore, what about atoms, molecules, and what have you? I mean, you can go on and on all day about how they're made up of electrons and protons and crap, but do you know what those are? Do you really know? Of course not, because we don't. The further we get into the workings of the universe, the more we realize that it doesn't make sense. Like quantum physics. We've been studying that mess for years, and we still don't have a clue of what the crap is going on there.


The obvious answer is that we're all being controlled by aliens for their own amusement, and occasionally they throw in some stuff that doesn't make any damned sense, just to screw with us.

5 comments:

  1. Fuckin' magnets...

    I can answer your questions about computers, though...but I wouldn't want to bore you >__>'

    ReplyDelete
  2. The walls of my office are metal, so magnets stick to them. It's crazy.

    ReplyDelete
  3. I'm still baffled by electricity.

    ReplyDelete
  4. I was trying to get the point across that even though you might know how to program and even build a computer, if you kept going farther and farther, eventually there would be something that you don't understand.

    ReplyDelete
  5. Yeah, I know. I'm just being an annoyance. :P

    In all seriousness, you're absolutely right. We've been studying the Earth, the Solar System, the Universe for centuries now, and we know pretty much nothing. It's humbling to think about how small you are compared to all of it, and it's even more humbling to think how little you actually know.

    ReplyDelete