Tuesday, September 7, 2010

To Get To The Other Shut Up

Why is it that the first joke children are ever taught is "Why did the chicken cross the road?" When you don't really know what a joke is, the punchline doesn't really make any sense. It just sounds like some idiot stating the obvious. You know, like this blog.

It's actually a pretty brilliant subversion of the "punchline" concept. The recipient is expecting an actual joke at the end, but then finds out that there isn't one. It's a really clever type of humor. So why is the most generic, repeated joke a joke that relies entirely on the recipient of the joke to be familiar enough with the concept of a joke to even make sense? Because people are stupid.

Like, was a seriously the only one who, as a kid, just thought that it was either way over my head, and I would figure out with years more experience, or that everyone around me had some kind of brain disease? You know, because when I was a kid, I didn't know what a joke was, but I did know all about brain diseases.  My parents were strange people.

Well, this post was a bit too short, so to make up for it, please enjoy this picture of a bear.

No comments:

Post a Comment