Wednesday, December 22, 2010

Animal Wrongs Group

Why is it that we're allowed to get pissy at China just because they eat cats and dogs? I'm not saying that I'm okay with doing that, but why is it fair for us to try to force them to ban it?* There's two main problems that I see with this.

First of all, who the hell are we to tell other countries what they can and can't do? It's not like they're capturing Americans and using them as sex slaves or anything stupid like that. Why is this our business? Come to think of it, why is anything our business? That's one of our biggest problems. We can't be like any other country and just try to worry about ourselves. No, we have to get involved. Does it suck that they do this? Yes, but why the hell should they have to listen to us. What are we going to do, threaten to bomb them if they don't stop? That seems to be the good old-fashioned American way.

More importantly, we're not exactly the most saintly country when it comes to this kind of stuff. These animal rights people want us to see all animals as equal, right? So how come the government isn't pressuring people here to stop eating cow?** If they're all equal, right? I'm actually a bit of an animal rights person myself, but come on guys, can't we focus on bigger issues? Rainforests and all that stuff? That seems a bit more pressing to me.

PETA, this is why everyone hates you. You're dickheads.

*We totally did this. I can't remember where the hell I read it, but it happened.
**In case it isn't clear, I know animal rights groups are pressuring the government to do this. However, the thing over in China actually resulted in a ban. And yet, they haven't been shutting down slaughterhouses in America. Well, they have, but because of crappy working conditions, not because of animal cruelty. Consistency, that's all I ask.

No comments:

Post a Comment