Tuesday, February 1, 2011

I Didn't Want To Make A Facebook Pun

How many of the people that you have added as "friends" on any given social networking site* are actually your friends? It struck me awhile ago, and I realized that there were a large amount of people who, if I saw them at school or something, I wouldn't even say "hi". It got even worse when I figured out that there were several people I wouldn't even recognize if I saw them on the street. So I deleted all of them. And the fact that it cut down my "friend" count by about fifty was sort of worrying to me. I think it sort of defeats the purpose, doesn't it?

Have you ever seen one of those guys that have like one thousand friends,** or sometimes even more,*** and you just know that they probably talk to maybe, one hundred of them, tops, on a regular basis. I don't think I could even NAME one thousand people that I would actually really consider my friends. Acquaintances, maybe, but not friends. And it isn't called the acquaintances list.

So I want you to just try it. Go through your list, and flip through every single person. When you reach them, ask yourself if you would really refer to them as your "friend" in conversation.**** If not, delete 'em. You probably don't even read any of the stupid crap they post anyway. It's sort of liberating. I say go for it.

*Which at this this point might as well just be synonymous with Facebook at this point, because it's pretty much the only one anybody uses anymore. It's gotten to the point where "Nobody uses MySpace lawl" jokes have become almost cliche. Oh yeah, and nobody uses MySpace lawl.
**You know exactly who you are.
***You know who you are too, and you kind of scare me a bit.
****Obviously, this doesn't apply to family members and other people you can't delete, like that idiot coworker that will not leave you alone once you do.

No comments:

Post a Comment