Friday, February 11, 2011

I Wrote This While Completely Sleep Deprived

People complain about sleep a lot. Especially high school kids, but I imagine adults do it a lot too. But see, we always bitch and moan about how tired we are, and how we "couldn't get enough sleep last night". But you know what? That's total crap. Tell me, when was the last time you stayed up really late because you were trying to get something finished? Okay, granted, but how many of those times were due to procrastination? How many of those times were just the result of you not doing it at a more reasonable hour, or spreading it out over the course of several days? I'm not saying this isn't a legitimate work planning strategy, because it totally is, but I think most of the time, we're bitching about something that is completely our fault.*

I also love how much more important sleep is in the morning than it is at night. Every morning, I would pretty much rather die than get out of bed.** And yet, at night, I never remember that. I will literally stay up far into the morning while being bored. I'm pretty sure it's just because I'm afraid I might miss something. Like, if someone tries to assassinate Steve Martin or something, I want to be on the internet when it happens. I mean, that would be really embarrassing to sleep through something like that.

It's also amazing how I can wake up in the morning, be completely exhausted all day, and then when I get home, I don't want to sleep anymore. Now that I have the option to sleep, it has somehow become impossible. Or when it's Friday night, and I can finally stay up late like I've wanted to, and all of a sudden I've become incredibly tired. That sucks. My brain just really does not like me or something. Or maybe I'm completely full of crap and I'm just too stupid to sleep properly.

*Excluding people with insomnia. Yeah, you know exactly who you are.
**How exactly I am still alive is up for debate.

No comments:

Post a Comment