Thursday, February 24, 2011

Make You Feel Awful

It always sort of bothers me when they talk about World War II on the History Channel, and in history classes, and wherever else it is you're getting your information on "crap that happened a long time ago". Not because it's offensive or anything, but because I don't really think it can be qualified as history yet. I don't think you can call it history until every single person who was around when it was happening is dead. Otherwise, I don't think it counts. I mean, that's just gotta make those people feel INCREDIBLY old. And they're already incredibly old. I mean, that just isn't cool. Just seems kind of strange to me.

And the History Channel really, really loves World War II. It's kind of scary actually. If you ever begin to hate yourself enough that you actually seriously consider watching the History Channel, guarantee you'll see something about Hitler within at least 3 hours. And that really seems like ALL they care about. Something that can only really tenuously be called history, and that's their real big focus I just don't really get that.

I do sort of hope this practice continues though. If I live to be like, 109, I want people to ask me about what things were like during the Iraq War.* And I will, with the utmost honesty, tell them that I have absolutely no idea, because I didn't actually pay attention to anything at the time. Or maybe I'll be senile enough to just completely make crap up.** Being old is gonna be kind of fun.

*Or whatever it is they're going to call it. We tend to not actually name wars until after they're over. More importantly, when the hell is World War III coming out?
**"And then the MARTIANS showed up and pulled out they're laser guns and were like PEW PEW PEW PEW PEW!"

No comments:

Post a Comment