Tuesday, February 22, 2011

It's About Videogames

I'm sort of pissed that all the video rental stores are going under. Not so much because of the fact that I can't rent movies anymore, because well, pay-per-view and all that crap, but I'm sort of sad about the now very conspicuous lack of ways to rent videogames now. We really don't have any way to do that anymore, besides Netflix, which I don't have.* So there's sort of a void there, and you'd think there'd be a bigger market for it. Of course, the main problem with it at the time** was that it was way too damn expensive. I'm pretty sure they had it jacked up to twelve freaking dollars for one rental by the time they closed. Probably why they closed in the first place.

Of course, this is eventually going to go away once videogames go all digital download and we can just rent downloads like how they do with movies on iTunes. Actually, that's going to be a lot of fun too, once that time rolls around. Once the videogame stores start going under, we are going to see some fantastic clearance sales. I mean, with used games from more than a decade ago going for like, five bucks NOW...can you imagine? Oh man, that is going to be a FUN couple of months.

And man oh man, once that time comes and we stop having to buy physical copies of games, piracy is going to friggin' skyrocket. I mean, think of how easy it is to pirate iPhone games. Now imagine what that's going to do to the console industry. Piracy already going to friggin' murder PC gaming, and consoles are going to get it even worse, I think. And all of this? If I am the luckiest man on Earth,*** it will lead to the return of arcades. I like arcades.

*I'm also pretty sure that Netflix only has games from the past few years. The Blockbuster near my house, which is now a bank, had games fro like over ten years ago. That was pretty sweet.
**I've decided that I'm writing this as if it's like, 2013 and all of those stores have just closed by now. Because let's face it, they're probably going to be gone by then.
***I'm not.

No comments:

Post a Comment