Friday, November 19, 2010

An Entirely Different Post

What exactly are people trying to accomplish with campaign signs? I mean do they really think that passing by a sign that says "Vote for Steve", that's really going to change somebody's mind? You could say that they're just trying to "show their support", but you know how you really show your support? You get off your ass and you vote for what you think is right. That seems pretty damn intuitive to me.

And you know what? We can probably just throw campaign ads in there too. I don't mean the ones for the Propositions and those kinds of things, because without them we'd probably have no idea what any of them were about. I'm talking about the ones for people running for office. People just aren't swayed by these things because they know who they're voting for as soon as the candidates are even announced. If you're conservative, you vote Republican. If you're liberal, you vote Democrat. If you're politically-minded and/or pretentious enough to identify as independent, then you've probably done all of your research and know who you want to choose. If you like a third party candidate, you drown yourself in a lake while weeping softly to yourself.* Even in the primary elections, you should be smart enough to learn enough about the candidates and make a decision for yourself. If you aren't, then you also probably haven't figured out how to fill in the little bubble at the polling place.

And then you realize the problem. Think about how much money is wasted on these stupid ads. With all of the controversy going on about the millions of dollars spent on these wastes of air-time, did no one ever stop to realize that it's worse, because they don't even have a purpose. People...

*I'd actually like to talk about third party candidates, but that also warrants it's own personal thrashing.

4 comments:

  1. If you knew anything about psychology you would know that it is proven that the #1 factor in deciding who to vote for is who's name you heard last. People are stupid, these strategies work even better than they are intended to work.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Okay, then there we go. More proof that people suck.

    Honestly dude, don't you have a job or something?

    ReplyDelete
  3. As usual, I disagree with your anonymous friend. Are you seriously suggesting that as I pull up to the polling place having made my decision on who I'm voting for, if a different candidate's ad comes on the radio as I turn off the car I'm then going to vote for THAT person instead??? Loooooony!!!!!

    ReplyDelete
  4. More importantly, I think they're just completely missing the point of this entire website.

    It's a joke. I'm kidding. I'm deliberately misrepresenting facts because it's funnier that way. If I did research for every single thing and accurately represented both sides of the story, the joke would be lost.

    It's how comedy works ma'am.

    ReplyDelete