Tuesday, November 23, 2010

The Official Language Is Java

So why exactly are people rallying for English to become the official language of the United States? I'm not taking sides on that either way, because I totally understand where both viewpoints are coming from. On the one hand, the majority of the population does speak English, so it sort of makes sense. On the other hand, we were built entirely by immigrants, so it seems kind of weird for us to have an official language at all.* What I don't understand, however, is why we need an official language in the first place.

And I'm not insulting anybody in this case. I would honestly like to know. Would having English as our official language change anything at all? Is it some sort of legal thing? Because it seems to me like it would mean absolutely nothing to the average person. I'm assuming that it has to do with our relationships with other countries, right? But why should that affect us in any way whatsoever? What would that change for us? I don't really know.

Is it just the principle of the matter? Because I can sort of understand that. I mean, if we're fighting over just the idea of it all, that sort of makes sense. It makes it more banal and stupid, but it at least makes sense. Sort of.

I'm serious, by the way. If anyone can clear this up for me, that would be greatly appreciated. Unless you're going to be a condescending dick about it, in which case don't bother.

*This same argument works for the illegal immigration debate, which I have also not made up my mind about, although I do know for a fact that it is incredibly stupid.

2 comments:

  1. The point of an official language is largely legal. For example, the driving test is given in around 20 languages, but making english the official language would allow this to be only 1. In a more practical sense, an official language is used to formalize those who do not speak that language as outsiders.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Ah yes, that's what I was thinking.

    In that case, it seems pretty unfair to try to get that done. Sure, it would be nice if everyone in America could speak English, but that simply isn't going to happen. And it really doesn't seem right to screw over people who can't.

    ReplyDelete