Friday, November 26, 2010

Water is Scary

So why are we so terrified of sharks? I'm not saying that they aren't inherently scary. Those bastards are pretty freaking scary-looking. And it doesn't help that they're pretty damn efficient killing machines. But that's the thing, they're extremely efficient at killing their PREY. Sharks are not our natural predators, and therefore don't really make it a point in attacking us. Sure, it happens on occasion, but usually it's because they think the guy's a seal or something.

I don't remember the exact figures, but sharks kill an extremely small number of people every year. And yet anytime someone does get killed, the media freaks the hell out and starts screaming about how people better watch out, or they could get eaten. I think we'll probably be alright.

Honestly, I blame Spielberg for this.* It's probably just a urban legend, but I heard once that apparently people terrified to even go in their BATHTUBS because of Jaws, which is frankly embarassing for the human race. The human race needs to get out more.

If I can anyone here complaining about me being insensitive towards the families of shark attack victims, I will consider that my official welcome to the Internet.

*I've mentioned a Spielberg film twice this week. I have no idea what that means.

No comments:

Post a Comment