Monday, November 15, 2010

This Is Not Gun Control

Does anybody else ever wonder what exactly the point of having a waiting period for purchasing firearms is? I would honestly like to know if I'm just missing something here. I mean, there has to be some kind of reasoning for it, right? Like, we didn't just come up with a completely arbitrary rule under the thin pretense that it's going to make us safer somehow, right? Oh, wait....

But seriously, how exactly is this supposed to work? Do they think that by making people wait to get their guns, this will somehow make them less likely to kill people? I mean sure, it might give the occasional person time to think, and possibly change their minds about it*, but if somebody has already been considering murder long enough to go out and buy a gun, I'm pretty sure they're already out of their minds, and are probably going to do something else illegal anyway. So what's the point?

My theory is that just want to make it a massive pain in the ass to get a gun. And actually, that's an idea I can get behind. Let's take it even farther. Let's make it so that not only do you have to fill out all those registration forms, they have to be done by hand, and only in purple ink. And you have to deliver them to the post office on foot or else it doesn't count. And you need exactly 47 stamps on the envelope. And you have to mail it at exactly 3:57 PM on a Sunday. Just make it a bitch to do. We can keep some of the crazies out. Barring the sociopaths, crazies are pretty impatient. That's why they kill people.

*This is actually my other theory, which I reached for absolutely no reason whatsoever.

No comments:

Post a Comment