Wednesday, May 11, 2011

The Afterlife May or May Not Totally Suck

I wonder how many people who say things like "Oh yeah, I'm totally going to hell for this" consider what that might actually mean. Now, when I say "people", I'm also including myself, because I make that joke all the time. Of course, if you're atheist, you can just write it off as a one-liner and not put too much thought into it, but with my "I refuse to confirm or deny anything at all" mindset, it's sort of a troubling thing, when I really get to thinking about it.

For example, let's say there is a hell, and people are condemned there for a pointless existence of eternal torment for their wrongdoings in life. I think we can all agree that that would be pretty messed up, right? Okay, so then let's say that you can be sent there for not following whatever specific, arbitrary guidelines turn out to be the right ones for getting into heaven. I don't really think that's fair, is it? I mean, if you just weren't raised on it, you really didn't have much of a chance, did you? And really, ETERNAL torture? Eternity is pretty damn harsh. What if you just didn't know better? Doesn't really seem fair.

And that's what's sort of scary. I mean, what if you're just wrong, but you never really had any way of knowing the distance. See? That's why you believe in the Pretty Cool God. He doesn't pull crap like that. Perhaps maybe if there's an afterlife, we could be measured on whether or not we were dicks, not what invisible sky person we did or did not believe in. That'd be nice

No comments:

Post a Comment