Tuesday, May 3, 2011

My Head Hurts

Every once in a while, I get into this train of thought where I begin to realize how odd it is that we have laws in our world. I'm not saying that laws are a bad thing. No, let me make it perfectly clear that I think anarchists are morons. Anarchy is kind of like communism, in that it would work perfectly fine if people weren't dicks. Unfortunately, people are MASSIVE dicks, so it's not exactly suitable for anything at all. However, sometimes I just find it very odd that we, as a species, designate authority figures and let others tell us what to do. And we consider that perfectly normal. There is no natural law of the universe that prevents you from killing other people or robbing a shoe store, but the police are going to arrest and confine you for it. They can lock you away and never let you out. We do this to other people, and we're okay with it. I don't know, maybe this isn't coming across, but that line of thinking somehow makes me all existential every time I think about it, and it scares me sometimes.

And really, how much can they really do to stop you from just getting on a boat, finding an island in the Pacific, and declaring it a new country? Sure, you probably wouldn't last long, but can they really do anything about that? Can the United States government REALLY tell you "No, you have to stay here"? I mean philosophically speaking. It's not like that people who are in government are somehow different from regular people. They just have power. But really, what does that power mean? They have power because we say they have power. And sometimes, they have power because they say they have power, and we believe them.

I have to go lie down...

No comments:

Post a Comment