Friday, May 13, 2011

I Wanted To Be a Lumberjack

Sometimes I wonder how people end up in their careers.* Like, what sort of decisions in your life could possibly lead up to joining the bomb squad? I mean, if you got a whole bunch of little kids in a room** and asked them all what they wanted to do when they grew up, it would probably take a very, very interesting child to say "I WANT TO DEFUSE BOMBS". I dunno, maybe the pay for the bomb squad is really, really good. It damn well better be, considering it's basically like being a fire fighter without all the glory and sexy calendars. Also, it's one of the very few jobs where making even the slightest mistake will kill you, your coworkers, and everyone else in the building.

I mean obviously there are some people who work crappy jobs, like fast food and such, but they can't help it. They're just down on their luck and can't find good work. That's different. I'm talking about the people who have these jobs that are important, yes, but it seems odd that anyone would ever CHOOSE to do them. "You know what I'm going to do with my life? I'm going to be an ELECTRICIAN. That's my dream. I'm reaching for the STARS." Seems like kind of a weird idea. Most of them probably don't get there on purpose, but how do you even get into that situation.

I'm probably going to look back on this one day after getting off my nine o' clock shift as a discount pancake salesman and feel awful.

*I'm not even going to bother talking about teachers who hate kids, we're all already well-versed on the incredibly aggravating subject.
**NO.

No comments:

Post a Comment