Wednesday, May 18, 2011

There Are So Many "Pirate" Jokes I Didn't Make

I like when people try to justify piracy.* I'm not taking a moral high ground about it or anything, because Lord knows I've given into the temptation many times.** But I readily admit that it isn't the right thing to do. I'm not one of those weirdos who thinks it's one of the most horrible things you could ever do, but I'm not going around coming up for reasons for why it was okay for me to pirate. Yeah, it was wrong. Okay, then what?

Now, my personal rules for this is that I don't pirate small-time musicians. I always, if I can, legally purchase music from underground bands that I like, because they need the support. When you're pirating say, the Beatles, you have to ask yourself, "Does Paul McCartney really NEED any more money?" Probably not. Does that make it right? Not really, but I do consider it to be less bad, if that makes any sense.

My favorite stupid argument for piracy is, "Well, I didn't have the money, so they weren't going to get it out of me anyway." Yeah, you can just sort of let that sink in.

Done yet? Great. Now imagine how boned our economy would be if EVERYONE thought like that.

*Digital piracy, obviously, although the alternative would also be pretty fun to watch.
**This sentence sounds incredibly religious.

No comments:

Post a Comment