Monday, January 17, 2011

You All Hate Me Now

You know, I don't think Martin Luther King Jr.* would want us to celebrate his birthday. I mean, if you look at his whole life and all the stuff he talked about, he seems like a really humble guy, doesn't he? He seems like he'd rather celebrate the RESULTS of what he did, rather than the man himself. I'm not saying he isn't worthy of praise, he unquestionably is, but this is sort of about just, how would he feel about the way we view him? He hold him up on a pedestal, and yes, he was an amazing man, but I think he would tell us that he wasn't the only one, right? That his followers and the people he inspired deserve just as much praise for their contributions as he did? I'm not trying to put words in his mouth or anything, he just seems like the kind of guy who wouldn't want people to hero worship him.

Can we please all just admit that we just wanted to have the day off? Look, I have no problem with that, but the way we "observe" it on Monday, well, it's kind of pathetic. We're just looking for an excuse to have another three day weekend on the calendar, and that's fine. But I think it's sort of disrespectful to claim that we're just doing it for MLK. That's sort of, you know, a lie.

This is unrelated, by why is Black History Month in February if we're going to be celebrating his birthday in January. I know it doesn't really matter, but that bothers me for some reason. Also, do we really need to separate out a month for Black History? Shouldn't we just sort of be respectful of that all the time? Do we really need to set aside a whole month for it? Apparently, we're all very forgetful.

*If I can get through this whole thing without offending anyone, I win.

1 comment: