Wednesday, September 7, 2011

Don't Stupid and Drive

I'm surprised that the "don't drink and drive" people and the "don't text while driving" people haven't teamed up more. I mean, they both have the same basic cause set out, right? "Don't be a dick while driving". That's a pretty good goal, I think. See, because if doing stupid things in your car was only bad for you, I wouldn't care, for the same reasons I'm not big on keeping drugs illegal. I don't really care much if you want to screw yourself up. It's not my problem. But the whole driving thing is a dick move, because it's bad for other people too. That's just rude guys.

I think they need to play up that aspect more. Most anti-stupid driving campaigns talk about how you could totally get injured and stuff, which is true, but I think it's much more effective to weaponize peer pressure. "If you drink and drive, you could totally kill someone. And then girls will think you're a bastard and won't have sex with you. You murderer." I think that's pretty darn effective. Make someone feel like a total dick. Of course, that doesn't work with sociopaths, so in that case, I'd suggest "Don't commit vehicular manslaughter, because you're probably not going to get a job after that." That's an effective slogan right there.

Although it's all kind of pointless really, since you're not going to remember anything that you learned while sober once you're drunk off your ass. Really, that's kind of the crux of the whole problem. They want you to have good judgment, while ON A SUBSTANCE THAT ESSENTIALLY CAUSES BAD JUDGMENT. So you have to make good judgment BEFOREHAND, which is hard to do. You gotta plan for every possibly situation, and then pray that your drunk ass doesn't decide to ruin everything anyway.

The obvious moral: Never drink anything ever.

No comments:

Post a Comment