Thursday, September 15, 2011

Whaling is Bad

I'm going to talk about whaling, but not in the way you think. See, you don't need me to tell you that whaling is awful. The environmentalist in your life has already told you all about how whalers are no good sons of bitches who are almost certainly going to hell. I don't need to write an entire post about how we probably shouldn't kill endangered species all the time. I'd hazard a guess that you've probably figured that out by now if you have any sort of working brain. There's an entire show on the Discovery Channel to tell you that. I have nothing new to offer there. With that said, I do have something that's bugging me, and for once, it's with the side that I AGREE with.

Anti-whaling guys, I get that you're doing some good stuff. Great stuff even. Protesting something awful, great. Actually DOING something about it, even better. But please, please, please for the love of God PLEASE can we stop screaming about how we need to "Stop Japan", or "Fight against Japan" and all that crap? Don't you realize that that's kinda sorta not okay? I mean, when I see Facebook pages saying "F*ck off Japan, join the fight against whaling!", you're not exactly endearing me to your cause. Which is a problem, because it's a really, really good cause. But when you do stuff like this, you're no better than those European people who think all Americans are drunk rednecks passing out in ditches outside their Broncos and voting for John McCain. Also, regardless of intent, it comes off as racist, so yeah.

Let's be smart about it, right? How about "F*ck off, whalers!"? That's good, right? No need to demonize an entire country when there's perfectly good fallible human beings to demonize. Plus, you know, it's actually them doing it. And you aren't a drunk redneck, are you?

No comments:

Post a Comment