Friday, September 16, 2011

I Guess It Was Future Week

I'm excited to be living in an age when a whole slew* of things are becoming obsolete. Technology is advancing at such an incredible rate these days that a whole bunch of things are starting to be completely useless. We don't need landlines anymore. Plasma screen TVs are starting to be increasingly common. Newspapers are practically an anachronism at this point. That's a new thing for us. Before, old technologies disappeared very, very slowly. It took decades to die. Now, things are getting more and more advanced faster than most people could have possibly imagined. And it is simultaneously really scary and super cool.

I know there was some statistic about how processing power was going to continue to double for the next decade. I don't actually have the attention span to look it up, but the point is that we are going to have the best computers ever and all the naysayers can shut up about it. They're not going to destroy humanity. They're not going to ruin culture. They are going to be SWEET. And then we're totally gonna upload our brains into servers and play video games with our minds in space and if you don't want that then you need to readjust your standards.

There are plenty of things to be cynical about, but "technology is going to become increasingly awesome" is not one of them. It's going to be great. I'm ready for intergalactic space battles taking place inside my skull while I'm also sitting on my couch, which is also in space. Oh yeah, I live on the moon at that point. Because shut up, that's why.

*Doesn't "slew" not sound like a real word? Say it out loud, it sounds like kind of awful soup, or possibly some off-brand dishwashing liquid.

No comments:

Post a Comment