Thursday, March 17, 2011

Get Your Life Changed

I don't think I've ever had what they call a "life-changing event". I mean, obviously I've had events that have changed my life. Using THAT definition, every single thing that happens to you is a life-changing event. The event of you choosing to eat a sandwich has the life-changing consequence of you having eaten a sandwich. It isn't a MAJOR change, but hey, it's still a change. But generally when people say stuff like that, they mean something that majorly changes the way you think. Your personality in general. Now, I'm not saying that I am mentally exactly the same as I was when I was born, I just find the idea of one single event changing everything about your philosophy and ideals to be almost laughable. Motivational speakers and various other sad individuals* say that stuff like that happens to them, and I don't believe them for a moment.

See, I think that a major change in a person has to happen over time, and one single occurrence can't be the sole factor making that much of a difference. The human mind just does not work like that. Now, I can see a whole variety of different, significant events happening in your life causing a major decision to be made, and THEN you might have a major shift in your way of thinking, but to claim that this sort of thing was caused by one, singular happening is to completely misrepresent the way the human mind develops and evolves. Which is why it worries me that so many supposed "motivational speakers" claim these kinds of events. It just "motivates" people to think that "Hey, maybe everything sucks for me right now, but I'm sure one day something big will happen that changes all of that." Not a very good lesson to teach people, especially children.

I've seen people who warn kids about drugs do this all the time. They say they were super hardcore addicted to shooting pure crack cocaine directly into their eyeballs, and then all of a sudden something amazing happened and they got better. Because that's how withdrawal works guys.

*Which isn't to say that all motivational speakers automatically suck. Just most of them.

No comments:

Post a Comment