Tuesday, March 15, 2011

It's Quite An Art Form

I've always kind of wanted to meet the type of person that it takes to graffiti on billboards. See, because tagging is already one of the stupidest crimes of all time, especially because it's basically risking jail time* for something that brings absolutely no benefit to you personally. You make no money from it, you're not getting revenge on anyone, you're just leaving your stupid goddamn illegible gang scrawlings on something. Congratulations.

But anyway, the people who do it on billboards just fascinate me. I don't know if you've seen this, but I'm sort of amazed by the guy that's willing to go and write "PENIS" on Angelina Jolie's giant face. That takes dedication. First of all, how the flipping hell do they get up there? That would require a very large ladder, and I'm pretty sure you can't just buy 50 foot ladders at Home Depot. So I guess you'd have to specialty order a giant ladder online, and I'm not really sure how you ship something like that to someone's house. Either that, or you have to become ninja enough to climb by yourself. Or buy shoes with really, really sharp cleets. Or both.

More importantly, how the balls do these guys not get caught? I've seen large, detailed letters informing me of all SORTS of things the tagger has done with my mother. I imagine those take a pretty long time to put up, especially with spray paint not exactly being the most cooperative medium. And I've seen stuff like this on signs next to bustling four-way intersections! How do they pull that off? Even at night, somebody's BOUND to see them, especially since the damn things are lit with freaking flood lights. Maybe they dress up like city workers and pretend to be fixing something. I think at the point that they started asking me to put on a fake mustache and a jumpsuit to paint a sign 100 feet in the air, I might reconsider the gang life.

*Actually, I'm not ENTIRELY sure on that. Might be just massive fines, I haven't looked into it.

No comments:

Post a Comment