Friday, April 15, 2011

And They're So Damn Loud

I find it fascinating that printers seem to be the only electronic that we're willing to take crap from. Have you noticed how printers have a startling tendency towards spectacular failure? Seriously, there is very rarely a time where I need to get some stupid, single piece of paper printed and it gets pulled off without a hitch. Some of my personal favorites:
-Telling me that I'm out of ink when I very clearly am not, because you're printing error messages.
-Telling me that the papers are done printing when the printer hasn't even moved yet.
-Telling me that I'm out of ink when I just put in a new cartridge.
-Printing out random gibberish.
-Printing the same thing over and over and over again, wasting stupid amounts of paper.
-Suddenly deciding to start printing as slow as possible, despite the fact that it's a goddamn laser printer, and I've seen it print pages in less than five seconds.
-Breaking, no warranty.
-New one breaks too. Three days.

And we totally let them do that, don't we? Can you imagine if somebody produced a desktop that was this poorly-made? Well, they do, and people sue their asses. And yet printer companies get to do it. Why? What makes them so freaking special? And all of them do that. Even the insanely expensive ones. They crash and burn, all the time.

I'd go ahead and argue that it's because they're made to suck so that you have to buy more,* and they make more money that way, but I'm sure you've already figured it out.

*Also known as the "lightbulb" method. Seriously, I hate you so much.

No comments:

Post a Comment