Monday, April 4, 2011

Respect Their Beliefs

So, we're supposed to all respect each other's religious beliefs, right? Sure, tolerance is great, no one's going to argue that it isn't.* Even if you don't agree with someone's ideas, you shouldn't insult them, right? Well, I've been having a bit of a problem with that. I mean, where exactly does it end? For example, the Mormons** call themselves Christians, but they also believe that Jesus lived in America, which, quite frankly, doesn't really make any sense. Am I wrong to say that? Is it disrespectful? I'm not sure.

And there's so many ways you can take advantage of this concept. What if I say that I believe in a deity that absolutely REQUIRES that I run sprinting through the streets naked every Sunday, or I'll burn for all eternity. You know what they'd do? They'd put me in an asylum. But what if I took them to court and calmly presented my reasoning? The reasoning might be stupid, BUT IT'S MY RELIGION. So they have to respect it, right? Probably not.

And then we sort of hit the one, enormous snag. If I have to respect EVERYONE'S religion, do I have to respect people who believe in racism in homophobia? You know what? Hell no. Anyone who says that the gays are going to hell is wrong. THEY'RE going to hell.

*Well actually, this isn't true at all. There are people who will argue against it, but these sorts of people are also completely devoid of any humanity or sense, so sometimes it's better to just pretend that these dickheads don't exist.
**Really, their first mistake was calling their order something that sounds so much like "moron".

3 comments:

  1. Dude, I completely agree with you.

    Like, I think it all goes down to bias and belief, ya know? I mean, for example, some people believe that 2012 is going to be cataclysmic in the sense that all humanity shall end on Earth. You know (or think) it is bullshit, and you wanna tell 'em its totally false, but then you realize that the the cataclysmic event is viable, (well, minus the mass extinction of the human race).

    ReplyDelete
  2. It's really more like this: You KNOW that they're wrong, but there's no sense in arguing with them, because they are beyond help.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Rauschuber has a whole lecture on this in AP Gov

    ReplyDelete