Tuesday, October 11, 2011

Dihydrogen Monoxide

How did the word "chemical" end up becoming a buzzword for awful things happening to the environment and/or processed foods? "Oh, you shouldn't eat that, it's got chemicals in it." Well yes, I suppose it would have to, wouldn't it? You know, because I'm pretty sure you have to have water in your food. Unless you want to eat nothing but raisins and banana chips all the time, which may cause a bit of a problem considering the fact that banana chips taste like grilled cardboard sprinkled with the fine spice of misery. So yes, water is a chemical. Many, many things are chemicals. You can't avoid chemicals. Stop bitching about chemicals. Bah. Humbug.

But of course, I'm not trying to convince you not to avoid processed foods, and all that stuff. No, that mission is alright with me. It's the terminology that bugs me. Look guys, if you want to beat the evil, corporate science-y people at this sort of thing, at least actually know your science. I suck at science, and even I've got this one figured out. There's a reason it's called "chemistry" folks. And what's the first chemical formula most people learn? "H20". There ya goddamn go.

And I'd rather not get into it too much, because it's so absurd that I have trouble caring, but how about all of you New Agers shut up about "genetically modified food", okay? Because it's pretty obvious that you have no idea what you're talking about. If you knew more about genetic engineering than scientists do, you wouldn't be lobbyists. You'd be scientists.

No comments:

Post a Comment