Tuesday, October 18, 2011

SPAAAAAAAACE

So apparently we've already sent out a probe that's going to Pluto, and it'll be there by 2015. Now that's cool and all, but also sort of sad. I mean, I'm sure there's all sorts of interesting scientific work, but we're all thinking the same thing. "There won't be any aliens on PLUTO. Silly scientists." See, because as far as I'm concerned, every single experiment and mission from any space program is just one piece of the larger goal of finding intelligent life on other planets. Or, screw it, unintelligent life. If we find a whole bunch of tapeworms living on some distant planet, awesome. That's exciting. We've proved aliens exist. That'd be enough for me. Then we can begin performing all sorts of terrifying experiments on the earthworms, because puny earth laws will no longer apply to us.

Not that we really need the proof. I've said it before, and I'll say it again: It would take an incredible amount of willful ignorance to convince yourself that we are completely alone in the universe. Come on guys. INFINITE universe*. Infinite. Infinite numbers of planets. That's just...it's...goddammit. I hate it when the only real argument is "There just IS, okay?", because it's really sort of hard to argue for or against.

Speaking of which, I haven't checked, do young earth creationists believe that the universe is infinite? Or, failing that, at least in other galaxies and stuff? You know, because it seems like it would go against a lot of "literal truth" Biblical interpretations, and this is something we have definite proof of. Then again, these are the people who believe dinosaur bones were planted by Satan so I suppose anything is possible.

*Sort of. Kind of. They haven't actually conclusively proved it, but the official stance from astronomers seems to be that there is a finite density, but you could never actually reach the "edge" of the universe, which is close enough for me.

No comments:

Post a Comment