Monday, July 18, 2011

And On the Third Coming, He Should Have Rockets

If there ever is a second coming, Jesus is going to be in for a bit of a dilemma.* I mean, how is he going to actually convince people that he's the real Jesus Christ? If some guy walked to you and started saying that he was the son of God, and that you should drop everything you were doing and follow him around the country, you would probably call the local mental hospital and have him committed. I know the whole idea of Christianity is "believing without proof", kind of like Santa Claus, but I don't think that would work very well. Hell, maybe the second coming ALREADY HAPPENED, and people just dismissed the guy as some crazy cult leader.

In the Bible, the people who dismiss Jesus (at least, before he shows off his superpowers) are always portrayed as ignorant, because they aren't seeing that he is OBVIOUSLY the son of God. But you know, you can't really blame these people for having a healthy amount of realistic skepticism. I mean, would you really believe this guy right away? If anything, some of the disciples are outright weirdos for going with him in the first place. I don't know, I think regardless of any time period, it's a good idea to not immediately follow strange bearded people.

So that's why I think that if Jesus wants to come back, he needs to do it really spectacularly. I know that goes against all the claims of how he's supposed to be humble and not show off and all that, but nobody's going to believe him otherwise. Maybe a little song and dance number in the sky with some angels. That'd get people's attention. And simultaneously cause every atheist on the planet to suffer a heart attack and die.

*I'm putting on my "agnosticism" hat!

No comments:

Post a Comment