Thursday, July 28, 2011

Distracted By the Shiny

I feel bad for people who actually have ADHD. You know, because I know a couple people who actually DO benefit from being on the medication, because it helps them stay focused and understand what's going on. And you know, I have absolutely no problem with that. But then there are the other two groups, who I just can't stand. There are the kids who just claim to have ADHD as an excuse to not do anything and act like pricks, who I just want to punch in the mouth, and there are the parents who put their kids on Ritalin for being different, who I imagine have robbed us of many fantastic artists. Screw you guys.

Now, I say that I feel bad for the kids I know with real ADHD. Not because they have ADHD, because they're all perfectly functional and doing well with it, but because all these other morons have made it so people think THEY'RE the same way, which has gotta suck pretty bad. See, because we all know it's massively overdiagnosed, so we never know if someone's lying when they say they have it. The best way I've found to tell the difference is to ask them what they're like when they're not on meds, and if it makes a difference. Everyone I know with real ADHD is perfectly fine with taking the medicine, because it HELPS them. Of course, this method has a high chance of getting punched balls, so as always, exercise caution.

Of course, none of this means that ADHD jokes still aren't hilarious, because they are. Someone running away while yelling "Ooh, shiny!" will never get old to me.

No comments:

Post a Comment