Wednesday, July 27, 2011

This Blog Brought To You By Hayden Christiansen

Not everything needs a celebrity endorsement. There is currently a jar of mayonnaise in my house* with an endorsement from some NASCAR driver guy on it. I can't remember his name, because I'm pretty sure my brain immediately blocked it out of my memory five seconds after reading so as to preserve my complete lack of NASCAR knowledge and keep my sanity intact, but it did make me wonder who exactly would have their opinion swayed by the fact that a NASCAR driver recommends a certain kind of mayonnaise. I mean, celebrity endorsements are annoying, but at least make sense when the person is at least somewhat connected to the product. If Tony Hawk says "Buy these skateboard wheels, they are good", I will probably believe him, because Tony Hawk is good at skateboarding. But if he told me "Buy this block of cheese, it is delicious", I would probably first question Tony Hawk's experience in the cheese industry first.

So the only real connection with our NASCAR mayonnaise friend here is the logic I assume went through the head of the ad executive who commissioned the campaign."White people like mayonnaise. White people like NASCAR. Therefore, combining the two will sell more mayonnaise to white people." Which I imagine the target audience might find a bit insulting. Not that I'm not guilty of insulting people who like NASCAR, but it's probably not the best idea to offend the people who you want to give you their money. But what do I know? I don't run an advertising agency. For good reason at that.

Or perhaps there's some sort of bizarre connection between mayonnaise and NASCAR that I have no knowledge of. Perhaps they have recently instated new rules involving mayonnaise, and I am a fool for not knowing about the wonderful world of mayonnaise driving. But I doubt it. 

*I say it's in my house instead of "I have a jar of mayonnaise" because mayonnaise makes me puke. This is information that you needed to know. In other news, I was unable to spell "mayonnaise" correctly on my first try.

No comments:

Post a Comment