Sunday, August 7, 2011

In Case of Emergency, Break Glass

I wonder sometimes about buildings that have fire extinguishers in them. Not that I think it's a bad idea or anything, but when a fire starts happening, people sort of tend to panic, shockingly. And when people are panicking, they don't usually have their wits about them, do they? No, usually people are freaking the hell out and making terrible decisions. That's why horror movies can get away with having their characters do really, really stupid things. In the heat of the moment, it's hard to remember not to do anything that will probably get you killed.

So I think fire extinguishers ask a bit too much of people. You're supposed to remember where it is, how to get it out of the wall, and how to use it. That's a lot of things to keep track of when your in danger of being burned to death. And considering fire is one of the scariest goddamn ways to go, I'd say there's plenty of reasons to be scared out of your stupid mind. And that's how you end up making terrible decisions like trying to put the fire out by hitting it WITH the fire extinguisher.

I dunno, maybe it has something to do with my own childhood fear of my house burning down. Seriously, I had escape routes planned out and everything, as well as maneuvers for how I was gonna evacuate my dog. Also, I just made myself paranoid. Great.

No comments:

Post a Comment